18 May 2012

Balaw Balaw Restaurant - Mother's Day Part 1

Balaw Balaw actually means fermented shrimp and rice in Ilokano. I grew up eating this as my parents are Ilokanos.
Their place looks more like a house than a restaurant. :)

Nope, this is not a restaurant review. I'm really not good with critiquing food cause I can't cook. I practically eat anything that looks and smell good. :) For Mother's day, me and my family went to Balaw Balaw Restaurant in Angono, Rizal. It is a two hour drive from our place in Bulacan, probably around 1 hour from Quezon City. The place is not really hard to find. You could ask locals for directions as everyone seems to know it. The restaurant is actually quite popular as some TV shows have featured it. Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods even went there to try their Soup Number 5 (which we didn't dare eat.) 

Crispy Shrimp
No Filipino meal is complete without soup or sabaw.
Dig in!
The dreaded Uok
We were served complimentary crispy shrimps which I absolutely love eating. That platter above (which is more of a bilao) is actually good for 6 people. It contains salted eggs, crabs, shrimps, grilled pork, grilled fish, mussels, and lots of veggies. There were 9 of us and that was more than enough! By the way, the rice (yellow or Java) was so good! The restaurant is famous for their exotic dishes. They offer worms, frog legs, crickets and the like. My sisters had uok (or larvae of beetles cooked adobo style) which I didn't dare try. 









If Angono is popular for anything, it is definitely their great artwork. May it be paintings, sculptures, or any form of artwork. Balaw Balaw Restaurant hosts to many great artworks of local artists as it doubles as an art gallery.

Visit them at:
16 Don Justo, Dona Justa Village, Angono, Rizal
651-0110


Have you tried any exotic dishes yet? :)

XO, Mish

4 comments:

  1. would love to try this resto..my dad is ilokano too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uok? I don't think I have the guts to eat this! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have more subtle exotic foods. You might want to try frog legs first. :)

      Delete

Show this blog some love ♥

Get in touch with me via:
FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/lbdandonesies
TWITTER: @mishrendon
INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/mishrendon